With 3D Printing the concept of manufacturing seems to be moving away from big factories and assembly lines. Also, referred to as Additive Manufacturing, the 3D Printing technology reduces many tedious steps involved in the traditional manufacturing by making objects/products directly from a digital file. As the technology is bringing a lot of changes in the phases of new product development, it is encouraging small business and individuals to be makers. Though 3D Printing dates back to 80s, it is now evolving as well as growing enormously. According to analysts, the most promising markets for this industry are automotive, medical, consumer products, industrial machinery, aerospace and dental applications. The global 3D Printing industry is expected to reach $49 billion in 2025.
3D Printing is all about creating more and more new and unique products. When we say that products can be directly manufactured from 3D designs, the process sounds very simple and indeed it is. However, there are a lot of things that goes into making any design 3D printable. From conceptualization to the actual design to the file fed to the machine, thinking in 3D is absolutely important. If we look at the CAGR growth, it is a clear indication that the industry will generate a lot of Job opportunities.
Following are the list of jobs profiles that will be in demand as the industry grows:
- Product Designer: 3D printing is going to exponentially increase the number of new products being developed. Therefore higher requirement of designs will create high demand of product designers from across all categories. The technology also brings with it high level of customization. Some companies like Morphedo now offer made to order products for individual customers. These products are designed from scratch especially for every individual customer. A very important thing to note is that the customers come with very limited time to manufacture and deliver the products of their choice. This generates the need to understand & analyze customers’ requirement, design creative and unique products, analyze, review and enhance 3D designs for existing products portfolio. These jobs require passionate and flexible designers.
- Material Science Engineers: With the increasing application of the technology in various sectors like aerospace, military, jewelry, architecture, medical research, automotive sector and food industry, there is a lot of continuous research that is on and not to mention that there is high demand of people who understand materials like Electrically conducting materials, Silicone, Biomaterials, Carbon, fibre, Regolith, Ceramics, Graphene, thermoplastics and metal powders. This will bring a new dimension in the industry as well.
- 3D Artists: 3D Animation (Organic/Inorganic), Modeling or Sculpting are now not just confined to Gaming and Animation Industries. With 3D Printing ideally any product design can be manufactured. This opens up new opportunities for 3D artists to manufacture their creativity. 3D Printing Companies are looking for 3D Artists to help them create unique models mainly for consumer product segment. If you know any or all of the following tools, there is a good news, you have a huge number of jobs coming on your way.
- 3D Printing Engineers/ Technicians: Small or Large, 3D Printing companies are now building their production facilities. Employing more number of 3D printers to meet the manufacturing demand. This spurge in building production capacity is increasing the demand for 3D Printing Engineers/Technicians who can operate and maintain 3D Printing machines (simply, 3D Printers).
- 3D Printing/3D software Trainers: This technology has been around there since decades. However, it has just picked up pace and it is being adopted at a faster rate. Companies moving into this industry require highly skilled professionals specific to the industry. From design to an actual product can sometimes require deep understanding of some basics of designing combined together with machine understanding for achieving consistency in the output as here it’s all about each single unit. This brings in the scope of high level training specifically designed for the industry.
As the 3D Printing industry evolves a lot many job opportunities in different domains will emerge. Keep following us to keep yourself updated on the latest trends of this industry.